A beautiful and perfect smile is a combination of variety of factors. Among these the most important are the shape and size of the teeth in proportion to the gums. T he right proportion of gums to teeth is important otherwise a smile can become a cause of embarrassment.
So in a situation where the gu ms cover too much of the teeth or are highly visible on smiling, it is referred to as a ‘Gummy Smile’. For patients specifically with gums covering too much of their teeth, there is a solution in cosmetic dentistry called as Gum Recontouring. This cosmetic dental procedure can even out an uneven gum line and give you a smile you can be proud of.
Most people have their gums reshaped to improve the appearance of their smile. Gum Recontouring can be done in t he following situations :
- When gum line extend s too low and covers too much of the teeth.
- If the shape of the gums is not in line with the shape of the teeth.
- Asymmetrical gum line, lower or higher on a single tooth.
- Swollen gums due to periodontal (gum) disease.
- Drug induced gum enlargement.