Tooth Extraction / Removal
Extraction is the removal of complete tooth or the tooth root with minimum damage to the adjoining structures.
When does a tooth need to be extracted?
- When the tooth becomes too loose ( in case of severe gum / bone disease ).
- Tooth with large cavity which cannot be filled.
- Broken teeth.
- Tooth with large underlying infection.
- Over retained deciduous / milk teeth.
- When a milk tooth is blocking the permanent teeth from coming up
- Impacted teeth. Wisdom teeth or others which may interfere with the orthodontic treatment.
- Teeth involved in pathologies like cysts / tumors.
Is tooth extraction / removal painful ?
Extraction is a painless procedure in majority of the cases. This is done by injecting a local anaesthetic solution around the tooth being extracted, which blocks all the pain while preserving the other sensations. The numbness may stay for an hour to 2 hours after which it gradually recedes.
Are stitches necessary?
Stitches are not needed for the majority of extractions which are straightforward. But sometimes when the tooth is difficult to remove( gums around the teeth need to be incised &opened) or multiple teeth are removed in one sitting, stitches may be required.
Does removal of teeth affects eye sight?
Removal of teeth in no case affects the vision of the person and is not related to whether an upper or lower tooth is being extracted.
What if an infected tooth is not extracted?
Infection from the tooth may start spreading into the surrounding bone and gums. The bacteria may multiply rapidly from there to form an acute infection causing swelling, fever, severe pain, difficulty in opening the mouth, formation of extraoral sinus with pus discharge. This infection if left untreated may progress on to deeper tissues of head and neck and become life threatening in severe cases.
What are the possible complications of tooth extraction / removal ?
Pain, infection, difficulty in mouth opening, dry socket etc are possible complications. But these are very rare when the procedure is done properly.