Benefits of LANAP Treatment for Gum Disease
LANAP: Healing Touch of Lasers on Diseased Gums
Have you ever been embarrassed by your bad breath? Do you have bleeding while brushing teeth or have a faintly loose tooth? You may be having diseased gums that need immediate attention before it worsens.
Gum surgery is the solution but did you ever imagine that it could be a painless, bloodless or no-needles surgery?
Yes, it can!
The advent of lasers in dentistry has made it possible today. Lasers have been brought into extensive use in treatment of eye and skin problems and have established its utility in various dental treatment procedures as well.
FMS Dental Hospitals, Hyderabad, India offers this advanced Laser treatment option in the form of LANAP –the healing touch of LASERs on diseased gums.
What is the LANAP protocol?
Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure or LANAP, is a minimally invasive treatment procedure used to treat gum disease. Inflamed or unhealthy gums that cannot be restored back to normal by procedures like scaling and root planing are indicated for flap surgeries. A conventional flap surgery entails separating of gums from teeth for enhanced accessibility and visibility. Few cases of flap surgery can be avoided through LANAP protocol wherein specific dental lasers like Diode, NdYAG and Erbium (Waterlase and Fotona Lightwalker) are used to treat gum disease and help in reattachment of periodontal ligament to cementum and alveolar bone.
Who is a candidate for LANAP laser surgery?
- LANAP has emerged as an excellent gum treatment regime for patients who are immunocompromised due to systemic illnesses like uncontrolled diabetes or infections like HIV. In both the cases, performing flap surgery is always loaded with obvious risks like problematic healing and questionable recovery.
- Patients with mild gum disease can especially benefit as no elaborate opening of flap is required.
- The LANAP protocol is the best for patients who are fearful of conventional scalpel surgery.
- Those who have tooth mobility or severe gum recession are the best candidates for LANAP.
What is the procedure involved in LANAP Protocol?
The steps involved in the procedure are as follows-
Step 1– You may need to be anesthetized with local anesthesia.
Step 2– Lasers are passed in the area between the gum and tooth (also called as gingival sulcus), clearing away the sick epithelium.
Steps 3- The roots of the teeth are scaled to eliminate any remaining tartar and plaque.
Step 4– Afterwards the lasers are run again around the teeth in the gingival sulcus to induce fresh bleeding. The clot formed, thereafter, seals the pocket and facilitates the process of new attachment of gums.
What are the Benefits of LANAP Treatment for Gum Disease?
The primary benefits of LANAP laser surgery, compared to traditional cut-and-sew surgery, are:
- Less post-operative pain —The LANAP protocol avoids the cutting and stitching of the gums. As a result, patients usually have minimal post-operative discomfort.
- Quicker recovery time — Most patients are able to return to their regular daily activities immediately following the procedure. Generally, it requires less than a 24-hour recovery period.
- Healthy gums with minimal recession —As the LANAP protocol does not cut your gums, the tissue stays intact and does not shrink. Moreover, this procedure promotes regeneration of supporting gum tissues
If your gums have become a source of trouble for you, FMS Dental Hospital specialists can help you with best and most advanced treatment options in the form of LASERs. Are you ready to experience the healing touch of LASERs?